Sunday, September 30, 2007

Heading into the 4th Quarter

When I see "4th Quarter," I think football, and it's not that I'm a big football fan. However, I did have a very brief football career; it started and ended when I was 13 years old. I played a couple games of flag football, and I even scored one touchdown.....for the other team! Right after that game, I slipped a disc in my back, and I never played again. A year later though when I gained so much weight, I was teased profusely by the boys and they nicknamed me Green Bay Packer, after one of the NFL teams. Well, enough about me...and football.

What I wanted to do is use scoring touchdowns as an analogy to achieving goals. Last week I mentioned the importance of having coaches and mentors to assist in reaching goals, and today, I want to talk a bit more about that.

First of all, ask yourself, "Am I on target to meet my 2007 goals?" The year is breezing by and we are heading into the 4th quarter of 2007!

For years (that is why I am the Princess of Persistence) I tried to figure out what I wanted to be, do and have in my life, and I bought so many books to help give me clarity. I was inspired by people’s success and I was highly motivated to succeed, but at the completion of each book, all I had was knowledge. I needed to put that knowledge into action, but I didn’t know how. I was happy for other people’s success, but I was discouraged because of my lack of progress; in fact, I was stuck! If I wanted to move from mediocrity to greatness, I needed a coach. I needed someone to help me find clarity in what I want and I needed the support.

For most of us, extra support can make all the difference in the world. Having a coach gives you the vehicle for accelerated accomplishment towards your goals. In this challenging world it is easy to get off track with what is most important to you. A coach keeps you focused, on purpose, and works with you to redefine goals and dreams.

Now, if you are thinking, "What goals? I have no goals." or "It's too late, I'll never reach my goals." Stop those thoughts now! It's never too late to start achieving your goals. If you want to make change, you can do it anytime and there is no better time to start than right NOW!

There were so many benefits of having a coach. For me, it was having someone on my side, rooting for me, giving me honest feedback, and helping me achieve my goals and helping me set new goals.

"How do I find a coach?" you ask. Well, Dr. Matt Starcevich, Ph.D. has come up with ten great questions to see if your coach passes the test! Answer "Yes" or "No" to the following questions.

1. The coach sees you as trustworthy, sincere and willing to learn.
2. The coach has a unique perspective or insight to offer.
3. The coach is willing to give of himself or herself and help others.
4. The coach is easy to talk to and be trusted. You don’t feel vulnerable.
5. The coach wants to see you succeed.
6. The coach is a teacher, willing to help others grow and develop.
7. The coach expects to learn something during your time together.
8. The coach believes that you should grow out of the need for his/her help and never use phrases like “You need me” or “I can help you get ahead.”
9. The coach believes that you need to struggle and find your own way and never would say, “I know best.”
10. You have a good feeling about working with this coach

Working with a coach was one of the best decisions I made. With the help of my coach, I have been able to accomplish many goals and I am now working toward bigger goals and I am visualizing my dreams coming true.

If you have been struggling with reaching a goal, I encourage you to get a coach.

Here is what my coach told me before I started working with him, and he constantly reminds me whenever the Demon of Doubt surfaces. Say this outloud and then write it on an index card and post it where you can see it.

Greatness begins by saying "YES" to an opportunity!

Go for it! Success is waiting for you!

Julie Henderson
Princess of Persistence

No comments: